Jono

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sad Jono

Post by Rislar on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:19 pm

Are you and your family ok fella, just seen the news?

Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

: :

http://www.eclipse-bowling.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Jono

Post by jpmc on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:57 am

Yeah all good thanks Steve, thumbsup

Just when we all thought we had got rid of all the earthquakes after last year and earlier this year good old mother nature chucks in another one just to remind us who's in charge. Haha.

Although they were quite big they didn't do anywhere as much damage as previous ones back in Sept, Feb and July did. Hopefully they might all stop now but I wont hold my breath. LOL
jpmc
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:51 pm

We are all thinking of you guys out there and hope it all settles down for you all soon......
Dave C
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by jpmc on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks Dave I'm shore it will one day. LOL
jpmc
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:58 pm

I was listening to a guy talking on the radio yesterday talking about the 'red zone' where as he put it the ground under the top surface of the land was 'wet' and will never be allowed to be built on in the future......sounded really strange......and weird.... any way good luck for 2012 Cheers
Dave C
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar on Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:23 am

Glad your well bud, seen it and thought again!! Unreal!

Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jpmc on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:46 am

Dave C wrote:I was listening to a guy talking on the radio yesterday talking about the 'red zone' where as he put it the ground under the top surface of the land was 'wet' and will never be allowed to be built on in the future......sounded really strange......and weird.... any way good luck for 2012 Cheers

Yeah the water table under the ground has changed due to the quakes and is now sitting a lot higher meaning the ground above it is unstable.
In some parts of the city (mainly out east where they had had built on old swampy land) every time we have a shake above a magnitude 5 on the Richter Scale the water table rises pushing sand and silt up to the surface of the earth and then the water drains away again leaving a mess.
He's a picture from a concrete driveway after a shake. (note how high the sand on the left where they haven't shoveled it is. Looks like a beach seen.)

Luckly I live out to the West of the city and we are largely uneffected except for the helplessness feeling you get while a quake is happening. It's hard to explain the feeling but it throws all sense of balance out the window. Kind of like trying to stand on a trampoline while someone else is bouncing on it. scratch And the noise is like a huge train rumbling past. We generally here the quake coming about 5 seconds before we feel it.
The worst part of that is knowing whether to brace for a big one or if it's going to be just a little shudder.
Big ones can last for up to nearly 1 minute while little ones can be anywhere from 5 -40 seconds.

Here's a website that keeps a track of earthquakes in the region over a 24 hour period if your interested.
Canterbury earthquakes

And another one that covers all of NZ.
NZ quake reports
jpmc
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:11 am

Still nice to hear you and the family are great! Bit nuts that going on at the same time of year again!!

Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top